View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Alan Elefson

Hi-
I am an avid flea market/antique shop goer and have been for a number of years. I found a group of Joe Dimaggio ca 1940s tattoos/transfers along with other characters (like Dick Tracy) at a flea market for 40.00. I sold them to a few different dealers for over 2000.00.
Over the summer I found a couple of really cool 19th century bats for less than 50.00 each at a flea market. Just this past weekend I found a Ruth 250 model bat (31 inches) for 3.00 and an OJ of Glasscock that was rebacked (but has a decent image) for 25.00.
I go to my favorite flea market nearly every Sunday. I try to get there as close to sunrise as possible and I ask every dealer that carries antiques if they have early baseball items. Several dealers save me any old baseball item as I have developed a strong rapport with them over the years. It makes the early morning efforts and hour drive each way worth it by knowing I will almost always come home with something.
More than 90% of my collection comes from flea market and antiquing finds. I really value finding items "in the rough" as opposed to trolling ebay or major auction houses. It definitely helps to live in the Northeast of course.
Alan