View Single Post
Old 08-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Default Saturday's Trade Deadline - The hobby lives!!

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

It sure is good to see younger persons involved with sports cards. If faced with the current card market right now, I wouldn't know what to collect.

Back in the days there were less choices. And the rule of 12 applied to me. I was, and am, interested in the performances of all baseball players. Although when younger (and actually until the '70s) it was not apparent to me how to purchase cards of old ballplayers. But that sure did not prevent me from reading about them and constantly reviewing their statistics.

When Lipset started with his auctions - I spent a lot of time with his offerings, his newsletter and the annual Beckett. But too quickly, Beckett stopped listing their idea of the prices of older cards. Then the internet came (from heaven, I guess) and now I can buy anything, almost. Although it is not always real.

So here we are. How do we foster the continued involvement of youngsters with the hobby, and recruit new members? It is the current pre-teens who will support the card prices which we currently "enjoy".