View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 07:06 AM
Al Richter

Default Weird Collecting

I don't think I hoard but am sometimes a compulsive collector in regard to trying to get one of everything Topps ever issued for baseball. For example, in collecting the Topps 1974 Deckle set, once I completed it, I went on to complete it in white back, grey back and proof form. Did something similar on the Topps 1985 Minis. Did them in regular back, the blank back, and now working, likely in vain, on red only backs.

The only Topps items I sort of "hoarded" were 1991 packs. It was their 40th anniversary and they issued one each of every card from every set back to 1952 inside the 91 packs. For the years 1952 to 1956 the packs had redemption cards rather than the actual card itself due to size. I bought a bunch a of packs/boxes to save. The redemption card would now be useless ( I never saw a list, if any, of what cards were not redeemed), but the packs may contain some old cards. I doubt the cards were mint to begin with since Topps bought them off the secondary market for the promotion, but it would still be fun at some time to open "modern" packs ( 21 years old now) and find a few old cards.

Plus th 91 set is interesting in many ways. In my opinion there are more errors, oddities and variations possible in that set than any other Topps set.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 09-11-2012 at 11:10 AM.