View Single Post
Old 03-11-2022, 03:50 PM

I dont have the patience to assemble a large set card by card; I have back runs for that. I would rather buy the entire set complete, leave as is or upgrade, or at least buy a larger chunk at one time and fill in the blanks. Another issue I have with sets is that I want the HOFers in nice condition, and I dont care so much about the commons so long as they have a minimum grade. Many complete sets I see have HOFers with lower grades than the commons, which is ass-backward in my opinion. A final issue I have with sets is I just dont really care about the commons. For this reason, the few sets I have completed/worked on/bought are super rare and small, as its hard for me to spend real money on a bunch of commons

I have completed/worked on 6 sets, all of which are darn rare:

1. T206 524-card complete set - I bought an existing, near-complete registry set and upgraded and added to it. The beauty of this acquisition is that the set was missing many of the major HOFers, which I already had and could just add to the set.

2. E107 set - bought it complete

3. 1906 Lincoln Publishing - bought it complete

4. E104-II - bought near complete and added Wagner

5. D304 -- assembled card by card but did acquire about 40% in one chunk

6. M131-Newsboy -- only about 20% complete, but I have the Cobb, Wagner, Young, Speaker, and Evers so I have most of the cost accounted for.

I would love to own complete 1914 Cracker Jack, 1933 Goudey, and 1952 Topps sets, but I would have to buy them whole, as I do not have the patience to assemble