Thread: Xmas Rack Packs
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Al Richter

Default X Mas Packs

Scott---they are clearly secondary market items. And no doubt whatever they were originally, they have been redone, remade and repackaged since. But, the question is where and how did they originally come to be.

When Mark Murphy first surfaced them several years ago he claimed they were cards bought from Topps in bulk from a 3d party sometime around 1982 and packaged for sale by a retailer or retailers. He and his business partner originally said the packs covered 1954 to 1963. Later he said the 3d party "found" some from 1952 and 1953. They said anything after 1963 was created by yet someone else unknown.

They did not know who the original re packer was, or which specific stores may have retailed them. I know people who say the "remember" seeing them in stores, but can not be specific about where and when. Some say they were packaged in the 60s and 70s. As I said, I was told around 1982 by Murphy and his associate.

The mystery to me here is not what you will find in the packs ( mid to mid + grade cards, mostly commons), but when did they originally come to be and how. I just think of it as an interesting hobby mystery