View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 02:54 PM

Default HERMAN DARVICK COA Shoeless Joe Jackson: Reply by Herman Darvick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringking View Post
I just heard about the goof on pawn stars last night. There was a book that a guy had for sale that was signed by Shoeless Joe Jackson. It had a COA from Herman Darvick. Herman is a person that sold something signed by shoeless joe for 23 grand a few years ago. Long story short...the book was a fake and the Pawn Stars are out 13 GRAND on the item.

To make matters worse, they sent the book to PSA/DNA and it came back with a rejection letter saying that the book showed signs of being traced.How can such a self appointed expert make such a huge mistake??? And he works for PSA??? What about other items with his COA now?

It can be seen here: http://www.history.com/shows/pawn-st...say-it-aint-so

watch the whole thing as this goes on for the whole show.
PSA/DNA is wrong. In December 1990, I sold the first authentic signature of Joe Jackson at my auction for $23,100. I authenticated it. To put the price in perspective, in 1990 you could buy a complete collection of the autographs of all 40 U.S. Presidents, from Washington to G.H.W. Bush, for less than $23,100! It was illustrated actual size in my catalogue. It was bought by Leland's auctions and traded to Barry Halper the next day. Google "Joe Jackson" and "23,100" as see how many websites (including books) report this sale. The authenticity of the "Joe Jackson" has never been questioned. 3 1/2 years later, in 1994, I was shown the book bearing a "Joe Jackson" signature which I authenticated and issued a COA. I still believe it is authentic. In this Forum, Mike Nola, Official Historian of The Shoeless Joe Jackson Virtual Hall of Fame Web Site, criticizes PSA/DNA's two major reasons for not certifying its authenticity as read out loud from their letter to Rick on Pawn Stars, "drawn" and "pressure": "Has anyone there given any thought to the fact that the same characteristics that apply to tracing (i.e., pressure points, delays, etc., etc......) pretty much apply to someone such as Joe Jackson who would have been 'drawing' his name based on a pattern taught him by his wife. ... The signature on the book looks different than the one that appears on his will, but the one on his will appears different that the one that appears on his 1941 mortgage note and that one appears different that the one on his 1949 drivers license. In other words all his signatures differ somewhat, since he was just tracing a pattern taught to him by his wife Katie." One more thing: In 2006, I was asked by PSA/DNA to be one of their authenticators. I accepted their offer and signed a 3-year contract. In February 2009, I eMailed PSA/DNA that I did not want to renew my contract and wanted my signature taken off all PSA/DNA Letters of Authenticity issued after the date of my eMail. I have not been a PSA/DNA authenticator since February 2009.