View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Default if you started collecting pre war in your 20's (not 1920's)

Posted By: davidcycleback

When I was young, I was simultaniously interested in then new, 1950s-60s and Pre-War baseball cards. I once pulled a Greg Maddux Bowman's Best Atomic Refractor from a pack (which means I bought the pack), and the experience didn't warp me.

No matter within what genre of collecting, I think that as long as you buy authentic, are knowledgeable about the material and are as reasonably aware as possible of the market (for example, Greg Jeffries rookie cards might stay hot forever), you are in good shape. If you buy authentic/properly LOA'ed 1950s-60s Hollywood autographs at fair prices today you won't regret the choice in ten years, even if in ten years you decide autographs don't interest you anymore and switch to baseball cards. You'll be able to proverbally trade in your authentic Steve McQueen signed photo for a Cy Young card and your Marlon Brando for a Joe DiMaggio. You would be dissapointed with your old autograh purchases if they all turn out to be forgeries or you invested top dollar on Eric Estrada signatures while Chips was live.