View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Default To flip or not to flip? That is the question.

Posted By: Cat

Getting a flipper reputation is a double edged sword. We all move cards because we change focus or buy lots and keep what we need and sell what we don't. I have three or four collector colleagues that I often make deals with and cards get moved quickly at times, but it is all in the spirit of perfecting a collection. That's normal.

I have different beliefs based on what kind of cards we are talking about. If it is a $100 card and someone tries to flip it to make $20, well so be it. It seems like a tough way to make cash for collecting. But, for the semi-rare (and higher dollar) stuff, I will try to avoid moving it to a "high volume flipper." If I know someone needs a card for their collection, I'll contact them directly first. If that same person just happened to have a "high volume flipper" reputation, I'd never contact them directly. If that "high volume flipper" also makes an effort on one of my cards in the BST, they will never get a discount. Why give a discount if they are going to add 20% and try to sell?

I had some very desirable dups that I sold in the BST, which the person immediately flipped after he negotiated a lower price. That's fine, but I did let him know to never bother reponding to one of my posts again. I have some very desirable dups right now which someone may want for their collection and I may consider moving them (probably some years from now...I am going to take a looonng break after the National), but if someone contacted me and wanted to talk about those cards, I wouldn't consider it if they have the "high volume flipper" reputation. I believe people can do what they want with the card after they own it, but I also believe the seller has the right to pick who they make private trades and/or sells. Of course, it is a different story with auctions.