View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 08:51 PM
Steve Birmingham

Being more of a generalist collector I don't really have rules or limits besides budget. I collect pretty much everything, just not in an organized or aggressive fashion. In other words, I'm "working" on all sets, but I don't get hung up on completing a set.

While I prefer RedSox cards, if there's a card of another team that's the better deal I'll buy it. For T206 I think I need two poses, and loads of front/back combinations. Neither of the ones I need are all that hard to find, I just haven't come across a good deal at the same time as having the money for it.

I handle the inserts/paralells the same way. If I get them in a pack, cool. If I find some at a bargain that's cool too. But I'm not scouring shows and Ebay for all four colors of printers plate for the front and back of every RedSox card.

I consider all that stuff to be its own set, so for instance my 2011 Topps second series set was "complete" at 330 base cards. All the other stuff I got is stored with it, and I have a spreadsheet I use as a checklist, but haven't checked off a spot since probably early 2012.

Steve B