View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 05:44 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
How about B-Robby:

GOOD 1976 - Some people don't appreciate this card, but I friggin' love it. Granted, the blinding glare of the sun is off-putting, but it is surely a unique, playful shot that shows the nice guy we know him to be.

BAD 1958 - For the love of criminy, it looks like Brooksie's about to sneeze!!!!!! We know he's quick with the glove...sure hope he's quick with the Kleenex. Come On, Topps!!!!!!!!!!!!

UGLY 1975 - Can someone say mini brim? What in high heck is going on with that ultra short helmet bill?? (No offense, of course, to anyone who fancies helmets with truncated brims.)
Darren,

Of course you should already know that there are “almost” no bad or ugly Brooksie cards (well...I may possibly, begrudgingly, give you the ‘58). All of his cards are the BEST. The 1975 card is one of my favorites. How can you not LOVE the shot they used and the overall coolness of the ‘75 style. Gotta love the short, mini brim.

What’s kinda funny is someone asked the question about his helmet not long ago and this was my reply:

In the early ’70s, the Commissioner’s Office made it mandatory for anyone entering into MLB to wear an ear flap on your helmet. Exsisting players had a choice, but Brooks stated he liked the safety aspect, since he had been beaned in the head several times over the years, and chose to wear the ear flap. Brooks stated, “When I got the helmet with the flap and put it on, it seemed like the bill was a little longer than my normal hat. The flap was a little longer and consequently when I went up to hit I could see the brim and part of the flap. It made me lose my concentration. I took care of it by taking a hacksaw blade and cut off about 1 ½ inches off the brim and about ½ off the flap. That’s how I got my short brim."

See, possibly ugly to an untrained eye, but COOL at the same time.