View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Can someone...anyone...tell me what purpose 35 year old gum would have? Other than adding a false element of realism to a resealed pack, of course.
I have a piece of gum from 1971 OPC that I bought along with a wrapper sometime between 1978 and 83. I thought it was sort of cool that it had survived. Not as an unopened pack, but as a wrapper and gum. It's also really different than the Topps gum -Different size, and with lines scored across it so it could be broken into dentyne sized chunks.

Topps also had some different flavored gum in hockey cards in the mid 70's. I remember it from buying the packs and being surprised to see yellow gum. I think it was bananna flavored. If I found an opened pack that had it, I'd buy it just for the curiosity.

I don't really get the idea of marking the wrappers. Would it be acceptable to mark ANY other bit of memorabilia? Look in the Autograph section and see how little they like the stickers used by the authenticators. Or look at how disliked any form of grading/slabbing is by some here. And that doesn't even mark the cards. I have a small collection of wrappers, and I'd be looking for replacements for marked ones. Same goes for the empty display boxes.
A whole stack of old gum though.....Not sure I'd want that.

Steve B