View Single Post
Old 07-17-2004, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Default What is your favorite one-of-a-kind item, a never sell item?

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

1. The first signed copy of Don Larsen's book "The Perfect Yankee". This one will always bring back memories of the trip my father and I took to the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies in 1996. We made the rounds of the stores, gathering the Hall of Famer autographs that we still needed from Reggie Jackson (jerk), Whitey Ford, Brooks Robinson, and Willie Stargell (great guys, all). Then we happened upon a store that had Don Larsen, Hank Bauer, and Bobby Shantz signing in the lower level - we bought our tickets and went down to find a room that was, other than the players, comletely empty. It turned out Larsen had just released his book that day or a few days before, and we bought a copy that turned out to be the first one he ever signed, so he wrote "1st signed copy" above his signiture. We got the book signed by Bauer and Shantz as well and we ended up spending a good half hour talking baseball with them as everyone else was chasing the Hall of Famer signitures. The time spent with my father was priceless, as were the looks on the players faces when they realized that a teenager knew so much about their careers.

2. Signed photos of the core of the great A's team in the early 30's. I have one of Mack and Foxx together on the dugout steps that is signed by both, one of Grove holding his MVP trophy and standing on the dugout steps with Cochrane (signed by Grove only), and a Butterfinger premium signed by Cochrane. I have everything ready to frame together if I can just find that elusive Al Simmons signed photo!

3. An Al Simmmons game used bat

4. My T3 Cobb - definitely the last card to go if I had to sell my card collection.