View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 10:14 PM

Default Willard Mullin Original Art Collection- Need Help

Hi Guys!

Last year, I bought a collection of Willard Mullin pieces from the son of an old newspaper man who worked for the N.Y. Telegraph in the 50's & 60's. Three of the pieces were large sized original drawings done by Mullin with editor's notes, They measure about 15" x 22". Two are baseball related and one is boxing.

Also in the collection was a pile of over 100 smaller pieces (most about 8" x 10"). They are of various subject matters including Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey, Horse Racing, Boxing, Tennis and Track. The printed side is a smooth texture while the back is rougher. There are no markings on either the front or back. I sent over scans to someone who's associated with a newspaper and he believes that they are printer's proof final copies before printing. According to him, before it went down to the printers, a graphic artist would crop and size it for printing.Usually only a few copies were made and he believes these may be final copies.

Below are some pictures of the large art (1st picture) and the other three are examples of the smaller copies. Since I am no expert on newspaper art (or any art for that matter), does anyone have any information they can share with me to validate this story? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lou
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1aamullin1.jpg (11.6 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 1aamullin2.jpg (17.8 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 1aamullin3.jpg (16.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 1aamullin4.jpg (19.3 KB, 141 views)