Thread: Rbioty
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 09:18 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
A new stat is proposed in this thread for runs batted in other than yourself.

A home run is still a home run, but with the bases empty it seems to be a cheap RBI. With ducks on the pond the value of a home run is far greater.

I have followed baseball rather closely for the last 60 years. Historically the top home run hitters seemed to have RBI totals roughly three times the number of HRs.

This year with the season winding down two of the highly regarded "stars" are falling far short of that benchmark.

Both Aaron Judge and Mike Trout currently have only 32 RBIOTY. Granted both have lost some time due to injury, but 32 RBIOTY means they are batting in a teammate once every five days.

Perhaps we should examine offensive value to the team by considering RBIOTY, instead of other metrics or at least in addition to them.

Earlier this year Trout was envisioned as having the best season ever by an offensive player (pardon me WAR aficionados). Without more RBIOTYs I think not.
Frank,

You're only scratching the surface. We should also consider the following factors to (somehow) be weighted into the equation.
  • Which base the runner(s) are on? A bigger impact with a guy on first than on third (single almost always scores the former, and almost never scores the latter).
  • How many outs there were at the time? Again, with no outs there is more opportunity left than with 2 outs.
  • What affect did it have on the score? Any HR when up 12-0 is less important than when it's a 2-1 game.
  • As above, along with the inning in which this occurred.
  • And I'm sure other 'factors' that aren't off the top of my head.

Hey, I don't have the answers. I just ask the questions.