View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 12:07 PM
Dan

Default Question about Munson, Stengel

I just joined this forum and I hope it's not bad form to ask for opinions right off the bat. By way of background, I am relatively new to the world of autograph collecting, and have been mostly going for baseballs signed by Hall of Famers and also Baltimore Orioles. For the HOFers, I'll almost always only buy PSA or JSA authenticated ones, but occasionally I'll go with an unauthenticated if it's cheap enough (then I send it to PSA and hope for the best - worked with Burleigh Grimes, but not with Earl Combs). So, I just took a chance and bought two unauthenticated balls at a Proxibid auction, and I'm hoping I can get some opinions on them. The first is a Yankees baseball that I am guessing is from 78 or 79. I'm most interested in opinions about the Munson autograph (which, after comparing to others, I don't think is real), but also curious about the others. The first pic I can make out Cliff Johnson, Jerry Narron, can't tell the next two, Munson, Clay, and can't tell the next. The second pic shows the same panel and the two signatures below Clay that I can't decipher. The third is Charlie Lau, Chris Chambliss, Goose Gossage, and Don Gullett. The fourth is Bob Lemon. The next panel has Willie Randolph, maybe Brian Doyle, Jay Johnstone, Ron Guidry, and maybe Fred Stanley (I uploaded them in the wrong order - sorry). The last is a signature on the print but I have no clue who it is. If it's not too much to ask, I'd be interested in people's thoughts on the ones I can't read, and also which may be authentic. The second ball I got is Casey Stengel - the pic follows. Below the name it says "Hall of Famer", and I have seen him sign that way before. It looks like the signature was lacquered but not the rest of the ball. Any thoughts as to authenticity? Thanks for your help!

IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1691.jpg (25.9 KB, 177 views)