View Single Post
Old 08-22-2020, 11:28 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Reading the posts from Doug and Rob reminded me of a 1910 Giants vs Cardinals scorecard I picked up about 2 years ago. It came with the newspaper article from next days NY paper about the game. The scorecard told a story about a Giants win where they came back from down 4 to win in the 9th. But the paper told of the fans on a cold September day quite for the first couple of innings then razzing the home team when they gave up some runs and left too many runners on base. It even described the chants and songs they sung. And how when they mounted their comback the chants had changed and the razzing was now directed at the Red Birds. Made some things about NY fans seem eternal while adding sounds to the sights recorded in the scorebook. Thank you to Doug and Rob for reminding me that sometimes the scribbles in a scorebook can be the best part. Example I will use is this 1934 Tigers program where Ruth hit his 701st home run. (The scorecard for his 700th is exactly the same because he hit it the day before) but the writing on the cover is the prize. " Most exciting ball game I ever witnessed...etc." as the Tigers came back to win in the 9th 12 to 11 over the Yankees. You can tell from the handwriting how excited he and I am sure most of the crowd was at the end of that game. (I would have posted the giants Cards but I sold it to the great grandson of a cards player)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15981170394985007693740237139230.jpg (78.7 KB, 143 views)