View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Default His Airness cards;

Posted By: aro13

At one time PSA did grade them. SGC or BGS to my knowledge has never graded the cards.

SCD hired Steve Taft and Todd Crosner to authenticate Star Company cards when they started. Taft is an expert in the area and Crosner was a big California dealer who I believe bought out a majority of the Star Company inventory when it was offered for sale in the late 80's early 90's. When SCD (the original company) stopped grading cards Taft went to authenticate for GAI. Alan Hager also graded them for ASA and he did have a couple of pages written on how to spot counterfeit star company cards. Given his credibility in the hobby I doubt many people trust his grading but I always thought he was pretty good at grading other peoples cards. I think CSA used the same information as ASA to grade the Star Company cards.

Yes, the printing plates were re-used and SOME of the sets were re-produced. Unfortunately, the public perception is that everything was reprinted and hence the values dropped considerably. From my understanding not that many sets were reprinted.

I hope that eventually SGC and/or PSA will grade these cards and the market for them will be return to somewhere close to what it once was.