View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Mark O.
Mark Og.ren

This translation stuff can be difficult. I have this 1929 Max Schmeling TLS in german.

When I send through the translation site, word for word, it seems to come up in broken english:

The german version:

den 25. Januar 1929.

Sehr geehrter Herr Woller !

Fuer Ihren Brief meinen besten dank.
Will gerne das Amt eines Ringrichters in Ihrem Streit uebernehmen, kann Ihnen aber als erstes schon verraten das Sie leider eine K.O. Niederlage erleiden werden.
Der entscheidende Schlag war eine rechte Hand. Ungefaehr 10 inches lang und fuer die meisten Zuschau er nicht zu sehen gewesen.
Anbei ein Photo von mir. In der Hoffnung, das Sie nicht gewettet haben, verbleibe ich an Sie und Ihren streitenden Freunden mit den besten Gruessen.

Ihr
Max Schmeling

Translates to:

The 25th of January 1929.

Dear Mr. Woller!

For your letter mean best thanks to. The office a ring judge in your dispute wants to receive gladly, however first already betray you can you that unfortunately a K. O. Defeat suffer become. The decisive blow was a right hand. To not to see approximately 10 inches long and for most Zuschau it been. Enclosed a photo of me. In the hope, that you did not bet, I remain at you and your fighting friends with the best greeting.

Your Max Schmeling

Certain words seem to translate differently in sentences than if you sent them through by themselves. Why wouldn't the word "Zuschau" translate in a sentence but will translate to "Watch" on its own? I suppose you do need an actual german speaking translator to decifer properly?

Incidently, the signed photo which accompanied this letter has a similar german inscription to the one posted. I actually won the signed photo some time ago in an online auction. When I removed it from the frame it came in I discovered the letter behind the photo in the frame. A lucky freebee!

Best,
Mark O.