View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Karl Mattson

PSA/DNA reported on their site last year that they were approaching 3 million authentications, with a current rate of 35K per year. I think JSA's been around for 8 years or so? Would they have a comparable number? Are we looking at 5-6 million between the two to date, with the number climbing at a rate of over 1,000 per week?

How many fakes have been found? I take it some people on this site believe the number of fakes authenticated by these 2 companies is 10% or greater - meaning a half-million or more fakes are out there with PSA/DNA or JSA certs? If so, what's that extrapolation based on? When I search the 'net, I can't find more than a few hundred questionable/challenged items. Is there a site that documents tens of thousands?

Isn't there a big number of "slam dunks" that these guys verify - autographs that are extremely easy to authenticate, and autos verified at shows where the autograph guest is present? Wouldn't those alone ensure a relatively high overall accuracy rate?

FWIW, if you look at eBay sold and active listings, about 80% of PSA/DNA and JSA items are sports and 20% entertainment, so I'm guessing that's a good estimate for the split between the two autograph types.