View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 08:08 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
Ted, I have those same concerns too, along with a few others.

Didn't know about Bowman suing Leaf. But when I was working on this set a few cards were much tougher than they should have been. Paige I understand, his RC, and an iconic player. But a few others were commons.

Given how bad Leaf's press work was it wouldn't surprise me to find their collation, distribution, and legal work weren't just as sloppy.

Anthony

In 1949, Warren Bowman initially sued the LEAF GUM Co. over the Copyright use of the name "BASEBALL BUBBLE GUM". This litigation escalated to the "Contractual Rights"
to portray certain players. I got some of this information from a conversation with Del Ennis in 1981. Incidentally, Ennis is in the 1949 LEAF set. Not the 1949 BOWMAN set.

Furthermore, BOWMAN and LEAF settled this dispute with the following decrees......

1....LEAF was limited to distribution of their 2nd series of Baseball cards (SP series) to Boston area, Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio.

2....LEAF was permitted to market their planned 1949 Foot Ball set in the Fall.

3....BOWMAN was not permitted to market their planned 1949 Foot Ball set.

4....BOWMAN could continue their planned High # Baseball series (cards #145 - 240) for distribution nationwide in the Fall of 1949 (which included Satchell Paige).

..................... 1949 BOWMAN ............................................... 1949 LEAF .........................