View Single Post
Old 07-24-2004, 01:42 AM
Administrator

Default What the internet should be (and card collecting...)

Posted By: Gary B.

I just got back into card collecting after being out of it since the late 80's, and boy it has changed.

Whilst believe me, I prefer human interaction over the internet any day of the week, things have changed in the card collecting world to the point there really is no choice anymore. I live in an area with 2 card shops, with a few more a long drive away that I've been to. After buming around on ebay a good deal, I have come to realize that ALL these dealers are SERIOUSLY overpriced and many completely out of touch with reality, at least when it comes to the scant vintage cards that they have. You just cannot go by a price guide to price these cards. They're going off of book and even discounting off of book, but it's still not reality. Like it or not, if you want to know what a card is truly worth, the only way to know is ebay (and the sometimes the few auction houses). Look and see what range a card is selling for and THAT is the value. I've been to several card shops now and it is SO tempting to buy a card that is right there in front of you - it is SO much nicer than buying something on ebay, but the harsh reality is this - the card is marked $50, the guy is giving you what he thinks is a good deal by giving it to you for $40, but you KNOW from looking in ebay that that card sells for $15-$20 all the time. The difference in cash output is just too great no matter how nice it would be to buy that card that's right in front of you. Card shows can be a little better in that you can find good deals if you're lucky, but the couple I've been to since I got back in the game had very few good deals, and almost universally all the cards that interested me could be had less, and usually MUCH less expensive on ebay.

I miss when I was younger going to card shops, going to shows, etc., but it's just not the same now.

There are plus sides like this board - I've met some great people and bought some items offered to me directly as opposed to having to bid against others, and I have found some nice deals on ebay. Shoot, I even found someone on ebay that was selling in my own hometown, e-mailed him and asked him if he had any other cards for sale, met up with him in person, and bought some cards from him at a very good price. It is what it is and we just have to work with it as best we can...