View Single Post
Old 10-06-2023, 05:49 AM
CJ

Default Recommendations for storage? Photos, Panoramic Photo, and a wooden item.

Hey everyone, I have a few photos that I believe are valuable, and I really want to make sure that I take care of them while they're in my possession. I don't necessarily want to break the bank, because I may consign or sell the things in the next few months. But, I want to keep it all as safe as possible.

The photos came to me in freaking ziplock bags, and I know that isn't great. I want to get them properly protected and possibly bring them to a safety deposit box while I figure out what to do with them.

I know that I should buy something acid and pvc free.

I was originally going to get an acid free sleeve that would be for art prints, and then put that in a larger semi-rigid top loader that was made of pvc. Would that be bad?

Should I get mylar, or something extra professional from a place like Gaylord instead?

I'm also slightly concerned about the matting being acidic. A few were matted professionally in the 30s. (Date is present on the matte.) I won't try to remove matting myself obviously.

-

I also have a large 40" panoramic photo that I'm unsure of how to protect. It has been matted, but is not in a frame. Currently, it's wrapped in tissue paper, inside of the bubble wrap and cardboard box it was shipped in.

-

I also have a wooden item to keep safe. It is also in bubble wrap, inside of the shipping box.

-

I was going to get some acid free tissue paper for those two items. But other than that, any product suggestions or tips for me?

Appreciate any help.