View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 10:03 AM

Default Makato Kozuru

Makoto Kozuru was an OF/1B-type-player who played pro ball from 1942 to 1958. In the early part of his career he changed teams with some frequency. In 1953 he joined Hiroshima and spent the rest of his career there. (Baseball-reference’s bullpen section says that Carp fans took up a collection to raise money to sign him). Kozuru’s case for the hall of fame is obviously one based around peak performance. In 1950 he became the first Japanese player to hit 50 home runs in a season, and his marks in total bases (376), runs (143), and RBI (161) are still Japanese records. By contrast his career totals are rather mediocre (at least, for a hall of famer). Jim Albright ranks him as the 50th greatest player in Japanese history. He was a member of the all-star team that played against the Seals on their 1949 tour through Japan.

This is my first die-cut menko card. The shape is very common for a die-cut card, and I’d always assumed that it was intended to look something like a person. But, on the other hand, I’ve seen military menko with images of battleships and the like in the same shape, so who knows. The set is not catalogued, although it bears obvious similarities to a number of late 40s sets. Fortunately it is possible to date it quite precisely, as Kozuru is wearing a Stars uniform, and 1949 was the only season that he played for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kozuru.jpg (38.7 KB, 658 views)
File Type: jpg kozuru back.jpg (78.0 KB, 658 views)