View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 08:50 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I've been involved in some that are worse than the case parodied in Bleak House. I'd be interested to hear about a class action against PSA (other than for securities fraud by shareholders) that didn't have predominance issues. My gut reaction, admittedly biased from being on the defense side of these, is that when people talk about class actions and bandy about the prospect of class actions they don't usually understand the requirements.
If you are talking about a Fed. R. Civ. P. 23(b)(3) class, not in the context of a securities fraud claim, I think you might have commonality issues too, particularly in the 9th Circuit. If you could avoid that bullshit CAFA and keep it in state court, maybe. Only Oregon residents suing PWCC? I would think that PWCC has its principal place of business there so you might be able to avoid diversity. But what about the rest? IMO, fraud claims are just hard to get certified, having tried and failed a couple of times. Maybe breach of contract? Or, as Adam suggested, mass tort filings? I don't know. I'll stick to insurance bad faith and let you class action lawyers figure it out.