View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
All you can do really is reintroduce moisture to the image and then flatten it. The problem is when the gelatin surface is already cracked, moisture will get into the crack and make it worse in those areas. If the photos were huge dollar it might be worth it, but my recommendation to you would be to buy some rigid top-loaders and they will flatten the photos for display purposes and eventually help to decrease the curling somewhat.

Rhys
Thanks, Rhys! Would there be any benefit to using a rigid holder and give them a 'steam bath'? Nothing too aggressive, maybe keeping them in the bathroom while my daughter takes her daily 40 minute, 95% hot water shower?

Would the matte photos that are on heavyweight paper be OK to soak? I'd really like to frame some, and sell others. But either way they can't be rolled up like towel rolls.

Finally, what is the best way to repair the tears, etc? Backing, some sort of tape, or something else?
Thanks and I appreciate your help.