View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 04:56 PM
J1m Ch@pman

Darron, thanks for the note about the sweater color, I saw that and will follow up with reproduction company.

David, your post with the October 25, 1911 NYT coverage is very enlightening, perhaps even more so than you thought. Chief Bender did pitch and win Game 4 on October 24th in Shibe Park. The Bender cropped shot of my photo attributes it to American Press Association. Of particular relevance is the back of my Type 1 photo showing a period American Press Association stamp.

Bender-sweater-back-crop.jpg

Here is the enlarged cropped shot of Bender as well as the adjoining Game 4 action shot also attributed to American Press Association.

NYT-10-25-1911-Bender-crop.jpg NYT-10-25-1911---game-action.jpg

I checked the NYT for all "day after" recaps of each of the six World Series games. It was a similar format for each day and predominately displays day of game photos attributed to American Press Association.

At the very least we can say the Bender photo was taken no later than October 25, 1911. While it may have been a file photo, I believe there is a distinct possibility my photo was taken October 24th on the day he pitched and was contemporaneous with the other game action photos the American Press Association provided to the NYT for use.

A couple of great tips, keep them coming!

Last edited by T206Jim; 09-08-2016 at 04:59 PM.