View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_NY View Post
There are other circumstances that impact the decision to keep the National on the East Coast. One of those factors is that most of the East Coast booth holders would take a "once every five year bye" and pass the National for that year and continue to maintain their current priority. That happened the last time there was a National on the West Coast, and it would certainly happen again. I know that is tough on the West Coast sellers, but I think that losing a high percentage of East Coast dealers would have a tremendous impact on booth sales. Correct me if I am wrong, but I always have contended that there should be two Nationals every year -- one on the East Coast and one on the West Coast. That would keep everyone happy, and I might consider doing the West Coast National if I also had an East Coast one to fall back on. Just a thought.

Steve
If the West Coast could support a 2nd National, it would have been started long ago. Depite having a strong collector base and dealer base, the East Coast didn't get a National until #5 and #9. Then it was 15 more years before its 3rd. In 40 years there have been only 6 on the East Coast, the same number as the West Coast. That is why Gloria Rothstein started the East Coast National. Of course back then Willow Grove was considered a "National" twice a year.

When the hobby was at its hottest, the West Coast shows weren't has good as Willow Grove, White Plains, Chicago, St. Louis, Plymouth, Cincinnati or Strongsville. Until the West Coast market catches up to that in the East and Midwest with strong shows attracting dealers from across the country, I don't see support for another National on the West Coast.