View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 02:54 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Lance,
FWIW, I don't think that you are wrong in assuming that there is not a W-2 collecting community lurking in the weeds.

One way of looking at this is that there is probably someone out there that collects everything. It's just a matter of finding the collector that wants what you're peddling as a seller. When you have two or more people interested in the same thing, then it becomes an auction with sometimes interesting results. As a long time seller, you know this better than most.
Scott, I wasn't implying that nobody collects such things and therefore nobody would care if the SSN was blacked out or not. What I was trying to suggest was that, when you find that collector of oddball items related to their favorite player, not only will they not care if the SSN is blacked out, but will they even expect it to be otherwise?

I just can't picture a Nolan Ryan collector finding one of his old W-2's with a blacked out SSN and deciding to hold out for one without the black mark, or even assuming that such an unmarred document exists.

Indeed, as a seller, I have learned not to question the whims of collectors. Many a time have I thrown something up for auction hoping to get a single bid and been surprised by two bidders duking it out, and probably just as many times have I started something low that I thought would draw lots of bids and wound up selling it for the opening bid price. You just never know with auctions, and that anticipation as the lots are ending and the final bids are coming in is one of the things that keeps me in the game! (Well, that, and bills to pay )