View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 10:47 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25801wv View Post
I have two lists of six favorites (keeping up with the OP).
My first six cards are from today's perspective. The second six cards are from my childhood (none are the actual cards from my childhood, just ones I picked up off of ebay).

I once pulled a Canseco from a Wax Pack in 1988 & turned down $100 cash from the dealer whose pack I just bought for $5.

When my buddy first got me into cards in 1990 he took me to his aunts house who used to stockpile boxes of wax from the 80's. Canseco was still pretty huge at the time and this lady had two boxes of '86 DonRuss, so I bought both of them from her (think I paid $75-$80) hoping to hit a Canseco and Maybe a McGriff or Fielder Rated Rookie. It got down to the final 4 packs of the first box before my buddy (I let him bust the packs with me) finally pulled the Canseco and hit the McGriff in the same pack!

Of course I was elated, so I told him he could have the last three packs....of course, 2nd to last pack, Canseco #2! He ended up trading me an extra 86-87 Fleer Patrick Ewing to keep the Canseco, lol! Sold the other box of DonRuss to a dealer at a show the next weekend, which paid for both boxes and then some, and picked up two '89 UD Griffey Jr.'s and a 1990 Thomas Leaf that weekend. Suffice it to say I was hooked! I ended up trading that Canseco, at least one of those Griffeys and I want to say around $180 for a raw Jordan RC which ended up grading BGS 8.5 (with two 9.5 subs). Sorry, just a cool memory that I hadn't thought about in a long, long time. Hard to believe that was 25 years ago.