View Single Post
Old 11-22-2002, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Default Question for MW and others about #1 cards

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

Good info- thanks.....

Leon, that's kinda my point. I can see team pics, manager cards, favorite players etc (however you sorted your cards) being rubber banded to death, but that's one monster rubber band if you kept your whole set in one bundle and in numeric order. Even by series, that's alot of cards.

Jay, I hear ya. I've been told by dealers for 20 years that they encounter probs with first and last cards, and I believe them, although they pretty much agreed with me that cards were likely sorted by team or other, non-numeric means from the 60s on. As for how they were brought to you for sale,it makes sense that they were organized numerically, for you to more readily determine if any were missing. I have trouble believing, however, that the cards were originally collected that way. You want to show your buddy your latest hero- you know to look in the Twins pile (had to get that in), you don't memorize card #344.

MW- I wasn't really factoring factory/send-away/presentation sets, although that makes sense. Still, how small a percentage of cards were obtained this way as opposed to the old-fashioned by the pack method? Also, I am unaware of the sheet placement for the cards. You and Marc make good points on that, although it seems that, given the short prints in many high-series sets from the 60's, at least the last card wouldn't necessarily occupy the bottom right-hand corner.

Runscott- even though it probably cost me a lot of future investment potential, I too found joy in beating up Pete Rose cards- via the bike spoke method.

Regards............Todd