View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Now, since you think that the best team in the country won(which is the ultimate goal, isn't it?). Then wouldn't that point out a major flaw in such proposed rule?

The NCG should be the TWO BEST TEAMS, regardless of anything else. If they start doing a plus-one, then things will be more clear. But if they don't, no rules should be needed to dictate the two teams, other than being the top two teams in the ranking...
No. Yes, Alabama was the best team at the end of the year, but were they the best team over the course of the year? That's why I mentioned the 'skewing'. If all games counted equally, then I don't think Alabama would have played in the title game.

The best team in the country at the end of the season could have started off 0-4, then improved drastically (changed q.b.'s, etc.) - do they deserve to be in the title game? Not in my opinion. And if you lose a big game earlier in the year that will determine whether or not you get to play in your conference's title game, then you didn't have the overall season that earns you a BCS title game berth. Just my opinion.

I feel the same way about Wild Cards in the various pro sports - many times the Wild Card team is the best team at the end of the season, and is steamrolling along with momentum when the playoffs hit. Is it fair? Not in my thinking, but I understand those who disagree.