View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 10:40 AM
Kyle May

No way in Hell will Trout cards EVER hold the long term investment value that Aaron/Mantle/Ruth/Cobb/etc., have.

I have a crap-ton of modern cards, probably peanuts compared to many, but still thousands of modern cards. I enjoy collecting them because it's what I grew up doing. I'll go back through every once in a while and reminisce. It's fun and nostalgic for me. My favorite player of all time is Jim Thome. I have hundreds of his cards. I would love to collect as many Thome cards as possible, but get discouraged when I remember that there are around 9000 different Jim Thome cards. 9000! The guy is #7 on the HR list, and top 5 if you take out Bonds and ARoid for juicing. He's a 1st ballot HoFer next year, and his cards will continue to go up in value for the time being. How is anyone supposed to put together a master Thome set with over 9000 possible cards that include 1/1s and crap like that?

Part of why vintage cards hold their value is the ability to collect the sets. 1952 Topps, while aesthetically pleasing, holds its value because you can put together the set (might have to sell a kidney for the Mantle, though), but know that it's still a rarer feat to put together the set or own the cards due to their lower print run. Today's sets are a joke. The value of the sets is manufactured with a false bottom.

I am a big proponent of collecting what you love. But at some point you also have to remember there is monetary value here. That monetary value is a bonus as to why I collect more vintage/pre-war now. Aside from the historical significance, I know that if an emergency situation were to occur and I were to need money, I could flip my collection very quickly for cold hard cash. It's very liquid, and will always be in demand. I'm not saying collect strictly based on value, but if you already have some of the cornerstone pieces of the hobby, don't flip them for potential fools gold. Find a different way to fund your Trout collection.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame