View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 10:32 PM
Josh

I've never had a bad experience meeting an athlete then again I've only met athletes as a young teen and child so maybe there aren't many athletes who are going to be a jerk to a kid. In my life I've meet a few Royals minor leaguers from years ago at a signing before a Royals game, Jason Ruff when he played for the Kansas City Outlaws a former minor league hockey team, and my favorite one with a great story was meeting football hall of famer Bobby Bell at the post office.

This was in mid-December of 2010 I was 14 at the time, and I was at the post office shipping a package. Behind me there is an older man so he decides to talk to me he asks what a want for Christmas, so I'm thinking this is just going to be a normal conversation with someone. (Anything to pass the time waiting in line.) I reply with the first thing that came to mind which was some CD's he then asks how much that would cost, so I panic and just say $20. He then reaches into his pocket and pulls out $20 and tries to give it to me. I of course was unaware of who he was at this time, so I didn't feel okay taking money from a stranger. After the bill was passed to each other for a few minutes he finally gives up, however he gave me something before he left. As I am paying he hands me a (new) tube of chapstick with a picture of a Chiefs player and the name Bobby Bell on it. He told me not to sell the chapstick on ebay. (Since I still didn't know who it was I was like why would I sell this?) When I got home I finally connected the dots... A football hall of famer tried to give me money. I still have the chapstick to this day.

I would like to know though what was his limit? What if I wanted something that was $100?

Last edited by cool-vintage; 01-29-2018 at 10:45 PM.