View Single Post
Old 05-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Wayne Walker

Hey Scott! I can't believe it took you this long to come over to net54, but welcome (for whatever it's worth to the regular posters here - which probably isn't much - I have known and traded with mainemule for years via other online platforms and can vouch for him as a serious and dedicated collector of HOF autos).

Anyway, to your question about the Johnson you've posted, I think it's an interesting example. I like the flow of the sig overall, and while it's been a while since I purchased my Big Train and did the according research, my first instinct in the signature itself was positive. However, you've pointed to some anomalies in the sig relative to known exemplars (good to do your research).

I don't personally like to say that an autograph is authentic or not (unless it is a very clear forgery, which there are too many of in this hobby but which I don't believe this one to be). Instead, I like to state whether I would buy it for my own collection. In that regard, I probably wouldn't add this one just because of my general skepticism of cuts like this (in combination with the anomalies you list). It's kind of a "when there's a bit of doubt, best to pass," especially with the amounts of money we are dealing with (I have no idea what you paid for this because I haven't clicked on the link).

I know that probably doesn't help with the seller (if you decide to return), but that's what I got.

And stick around here, man, there is a wealth of knowledge. Sometimes there is an understandable hesitance to help new posters with opinions because there have always been people popping in with questionable motives, but I hope that others will take my word that you're a legit collector and chime in with their own opinions here.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all