View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 03:00 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
I don't think you understood my post. Jessie and Hank were surprised by a sign being cleaned. As I mentioned, I, and others who collect said items, were not. Its no crime to wipe down an item like the sign in question, literally every antique dealer on earth wipes off or cleans their items. Its called being smart, and showing the pieces in their best light. Altering, restoring or using any kind of chemicals, of course its a no no... but again, to people that collect these items, this knowledge is common sense and ancient history. So no, the auction house in question did absolutely nothing wrong.
I was "surprised"--where did you get that? I guess you didn't actually read my posts, including this: "I'm a memorabilia guy, and anybody is welcome to clean things before they sell them to me." Everything I said was in support of what was done to the piece. As a memorabilia dealer for many years, I always cleaned my items if they needed it. But since you are the self-styled expert on this matter, please tell me what chemicals are allowed and which are not. A poster mentioned applying oil or wax to "seal" a tin piece. I would call those chemicals, but is this OK?