View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 11:18 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default How edge wear affects grade on 1980’s cards?

First - disclaimer and rant - this post or a very similar version of it got deleted as inappropriate on a PSA group on Facebook - ostensibly because I was not trying only to sell a slabbed card or show off a very valuable one. I’m increasingly over these macho groups on social media where it’s only about whose cards are more bad-assed than someone else’s. You used to could ask opinions on grading or have other hobby-type discussions there, but not anymore.

Second - my actual question. Let's assume this card is a PSA 8 (there could be something else tiny somewhere I’m missing that invalidates that, but for the sake of argument...) sans the edge wear that you can see on the right border. Would you guys think that edge stuff takes this down to - a 7? Card is centered well, and has 8 quality corners (at least to the naked eye) in my option otherwise.

I’m kind of at a loss as to what happened here, but assume the damage is a casualty of a factory cut. It’s not a typical rough cut as you see more often on '60s cards, but also not like a fingernail groove or something that would have occurred taking the traded set out of the box...I’ve noticed other ‘82 Ripken’s have this here and there in varying degrees - just not sure the extent to which it should affect grade. Sorry my pic is not better, but that's as close as I could get to the card with my phone camera and have it stay somewhat in focus.

I think it would be harsh to call it less than a 7 overall because it still presents extremely well - I didn't even notice the edge crud before I bought the card - but not really sure as I mainly play in 1960's and older cards.

Thanks for any opinions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 03-25-2019 at 11:39 AM.