View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 03:32 PM
N.ate A.dams

Depends on the age for girls in the school, typically. 4th and 5th grade girls don't care as much, but K-3 (especially K-2) are ecstatic that they were given a reward. The situations for many of these kids is far below ideal (a completely different topic), so anything that they receive (or anything they earn, which is what I stress) is like a small treasure. A very high percentage of the behavioral challenges, however, are with the boys --- which is what prompted me to bring in cards in the first place. All the kids I "mentor" are boys, and even though I'm the music teacher, I played baseball and basketball extensively through high-school --- so, when able, I'll go out to P.E. and chuck the football around and school them in basketball. The ability to connect with kids that are in need of positive influence via both music and sports is definitely a benefit. I love Brahms, Beethoven, Bach, and Mozart as much as anyone, yet listened to some Eminem as well before basketball games. The cards are an added vehicle of the connection with interest in sports, as they are aware that the cards were mine.

Last edited by npa589; 05-13-2013 at 03:34 PM.