View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 10:37 PM

I started collecting in 1962 but not heavily until 1964. My neighborhood was full of kids my age and living in St. Louis in the mid-60's made it hard not to be a baseball fan. We all bought wax packs and had massive trading sessions. Never flipped, just traded. Cardinals were more coveted than anything, but we all tried to get complete sets. I can still remember the euphoria of seeing the 1964 World Series cards from the '65 set. For many, many years the packs remained five cents each, but the Ben Franklin gave you six packs for a quarter. A full box was $1.03 but that was more than my allowance and returned bottle deposits could afford. We were well aware of each series, and the quest to find which local store had the new series was our version of chase cards. I guess because there were so many kids buying cards we never had any problem with high numbers. In 1967 though, the 6th series could not be found - anywhere. The 7th series was plentiful and we just kept buying them up hoping to find some 6th series cards. I had a ridiculous number of '67 high numbers but not a single 6th series. I ended up buying the 6th series a few years later from Larry Fritsch for five or six bucks.

Great thread - thanks to everyone who contributed.