View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
Mike, I have a serious question. If you could be so kind to answer
What would I have to show you that would make you say "these people don't know what they are doing, because that is just ridiculous and over the line"
is there anything? because i dont think there is anything at this point.
Let me answer that with the following. I fully realize and understand that the work product of PSA/DNA is not perfect, and in some areas, is severely lacking and irresponsible from time to time. They are NOT a perfect mousetrap, and they are not really designed to be better than any specific individual that has a passion and love and study of certain signatures IMO. They are there to provide a limited service IMO, not a total comprehensive expert analysis, and as long as the user realizes that, it's a good service.

The damand put on them timewise, in my opinion, does not allow for a full comprehensive examination of every item. (irregardless of what their marketing literature or verbage on websites or LOA's or LOR's might state) However, the flip side of that is, the fees that they charge clients, are NOT enough to expect a full comprehensive examination of every item. I, as a customer, realize that I get what I'm willing to pay for, and if I'm not willing to pay a price point that would support a full comprehensive review, then I should not expect perfection.

People want and expect a somewhat reasonable turnaround time, and that leads to assumptions being made sometime, and employees "authenticating" out of their realm at times, and downright carelessness and negligence at other times. Is that the ideal situation? Hell no, but for the limited prices we pay for their services and for the turnaround times we expect, it IS going to happen.

I liken it to myself at times, I'm pretty good at what I do for a living, but admittedly, there are moments in certain days, where I flat out drop the ball. That doesn't mean that I'm not good at what I do, that just means that I'm human like everyone else walking this planet.

I also know that I don't expect them to produce marketing literature saying "hey, we drop the ball sometimes", "we are occasionally careless", "we have certified preprints, secretarials, and autopens","we occasionally pass one without exemplars because it's part of a collection where the ones we do know appear to be real", anymore than I expect Budweiser to produce advertising saying "hey, our beer really doesn't taste great, it's actually kinda nasty, and guess what, it's not really less filling either, it will give you a beer gut". They are in business to sell their service, which they've done a helluva job promoting and marketing, and which is in my opinion, a DECENT service. Not an end all, be all. Sure, there WILL be instances to where their service or opinion flat out sucks, like in some of the instances you point out.

I've found the people (at least the ones that I know or do business with) that work and consult for them to be good, decent, honorable people in dealings that I've had with them personally, both with PSA, and outside of PSA. That's one of the reasons I support Collectors Universe, not because I love everything the company does, but most of the people I've known over the years that have come and gone from there, or are still there, have always treated me with respect and fairness when dealing with them, in all phases, before, during, and even after their stints with CU. I have run across an occasional individual with them that I don't particularly care for, but that is to be expected EVERYWHERE.

I don't know if that sufficiently addresses your questions, but my hands hurt and I'm getting tired of being on the PC for now.

Have a good night,

Mike

Last edited by thenavarro; 07-20-2013 at 11:26 PM.