View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 01:03 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think this is a tough call, and as others have said, ultimately you have to decide what makes you happy (e.g., what card or other collectible you would have the most enjoyment looking at over and over again).

I think Trout and Kershaw are really the only surefire HOFer's (under 30), barring some disaster like PEDs or crippling injury. I have a Trout auto myself (Topps Dynasty, not a RC), and that's basically the only modern card that I own. I think he's the real deal. Also, it's really tough to purchase an "iconic" card of one of the all time prewar greats like Ruth, Cobb, Mathewson, Wagner, etc. for $2K while the 2009 Bowman Chrome auto is the best card for Trout (if you somewhat ignore all of the different parallels). There are some low grade prewar options of very popular cards that you can pick up for $2k that you may still be able to find with decent eye appeal such as 1933 Goudey #144 Ruth, T206 Green (or Red) Cobb, E93/94/98 Cobb. Of course, the big advantage with the prewar cards are that the players careers are already over. They're in the HOF and widely acknowledged as titans of the game.

More contrarian arguments against Trout. Can he reach some of the most hallowed baseball records? Ruth owned both the single season and career HR records for decades. Similarly Cobb was the hit king for over fifty years, and still owns the highest career batting average. One of the reasons that Nolan Ryan is so popular is that he owns the career SO mark. Is Trout someone that can touch a .400 batting average or top the 56 straight games with a hit some time during his career? What notable record or achievement can Trout make his own? Even Cal Ripken has his consecutive games streak. If Trout continues to re-sign with the Angels, can he win any championships or will that always hurt his legacy like Ted Williams? Is he as likeable and popular with the public like Ken Griffey or Clemente? Or is he more like Bonds and Mays? Finally, when theoretical all time teams are assembled, would he be your CF? Or would Mays or Mantle be chosen instead?

If you do decide to go with the Trout card, imho, I think you should go w/ one of the #'s ones. There are so many different parallels, who knows the actual print run of the non-#'s version.

Last edited by glchen; 01-09-2017 at 01:17 PM.