View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
The mystery player looks to be wearing glasses unless my eyes deceive me and throws right handed.
I don't see the eyeglasses on the other player. Although 2B Horace Clarke wore glasses, he was black and that player looks white to me--also, Horace was 5 inches shorter than Ellis.

I'm betting this game was played on 6-12-71, and the photo was from the bottom of the 5th when, with a runner on first, Oakland's Bando hit a ground ball fielded by Ellis at 1B, who tossed to Stottlemyre (around the same height as Ellis) covering but was ruled safe by 1B ump Luciano. Oakland went on to break the game open with a five-run inning, prevailing 13-3 behind Vida Blue.

Road uni's and the fact that Ellis played no 1B against Oakland in 1972 (or 1970) takes us to 1971. Ump definitely looks like Luciano. Ellis diving to make play would explain why dirt is on sleeve and no throw to second to get lead runner. Close play would explain beef. Other player likely Stottlemyre. Bando did not play at all in the only other NY-Oak road games from '71 where Ellis was at 1B.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 01-06-2014 at 02:26 PM.