View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 02:43 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Here's my imaginary conversation between a collector and PSA/DNA:

Collector: "Is this photo a wirephoto?"
PSA/DNA: "Yes, it is a wirephoto."
Collector: "Is it altered?"
PSA/DNA: "Yes. It appears pen marks have been removed from the back."
Collector: "Then why didn't you say in the first place say "it is a wirephoto and it is altered' instead of only saying "it is a wirephoto'?
PSA/DNA: "Because your first question was only 'Is it a wirephoto?' You didn't ask for our opinion about alterations until the second question. "
Collector: "Okay, I guess I understand that. You can't answer a question before it's asked. So, how much do I owe you for your services?"
PSA/DNA: "$45 $30 for telling you it is a wirephoto, and $15 for telling you it has been altered."
Collector: "But I only want to pay $30."
PSA/DNA: "Then you shouldn't have asked if it had been altered."

Asking a paid expert (lawyer, authenticator, accountant) for more answers is like ordering extra toppings on a pizza. The more extra toppings on your pizza the higher price for the pizza, and the more questions you expect answered from an expert the higher your charge. If you're only willing to pay one-topping price, don't order a pizza with five extra toppings. If you only want to pay your lawyer a one legal opinion rate, don't ask him for three legal opinions. This is especially true when it takes the lawyer four hours of extra research and consultation with other lawyers to answer your second two questions.

Last edited by drcy; 03-26-2014 at 03:06 PM.