View Single Post
Old 06-21-2015, 07:13 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Thanks Jeff - I find this more discouraging than ever recently. I understand it's not realistic to hold a TPG to that high of a standard - it is a business after all rather than an entity based on altruistically helping a fellow collector, but if they can't weed out trimmed cards, it's very disappointing. I wonder how many high grade Chicles are trimmed. Given the year issued, the marginal popularity of football, the fact that every card touched a stick of gum and thus I wouldn't expect unopened to be in great shape, etc. has me thinking there may be more cards with sharp corners out there than can logically be explained.
Finding trimmed cards is not an exact science as some sets vary in size enough that you can't base it just on dimensions. If you examine the edges closely you can *sometimes* see differences in the edge cut or an edge with a whiter color than the others that can point toward trimming. Leafs are particularly tough because they can be oversized, allowing a card doctor to trim them and not come even close to the minimum dimensions allowed so the edges are possibly never even checked closely by some TPGs.

I don't believe Chicles have the same issue as Leafs but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of undersized, trimmed Chicles out there.

jeff