View Single Post
Old 01-23-2016, 08:38 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Quite honestly, and this isn't meant to be a slam at all, but for a registry collector the flip is far more important than the card. As pointed out the difference between a 9 and a 10 is only an opinion. The cards are the same and on any given day the 10 could be a 9. All hail to flips....
Wanted to add that the same can be said of many other grades. I have played the crack resub game, and had some cards come back very consistently, while others were a 6 one time and a 7.5 another time. Once cracked a 7 and it came back a 9, as I knew the 7 was a total mistake. So the subjectivity abounds at all grades. One can say at the very low grades there is such a fine line-- is a card a 2 or a 3? A 2.5? Tough to parse at that level as well sometimes.

It's also worth noting in this discussion that not all 9s and 10s are indeed the same. Sometimes it is actually easier to parse a 9 from a 10 that a 2 from a 3, if for example the 9 has one tiny flaw that lets you know off the bat it will never 10. Of course, that said, there are many 10-worthy cards hiding in 9 holders. All depends on the unique, individual cards in question. Though guys who find high end 9s and believe in them often will be persistent until they get that 10 on review, so such 9s are becoming scarce. In fact all "high-end" cards, which by that term let us say means a card that looks under graded, are likely becoming scarce at all grades as they are hunted down for sport and reviewed.

Regarding the assertion about Registry Sets, the majority but I hope not all can be characterized that way. It certainly does seem from browsing around there that 99.99% of the sets contain what I would call either over-graded cards or cards with low eye appeal for such high grades-- indicating that, Leon, you are spot on. The interesting thing is that high grade and high eye appeal are not mutually exclusive qualities in a card, and so a beautiful registry set with cards that are all worthy of their high technical grades is very possible, surely some must exist. I am trying to build one such Registry Set, and all I care about is the card, and that it is the exact card I love and am looking to feature for that issue.

Last edited by MattyC; 01-23-2016 at 08:43 AM.