View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 08:41 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Default Building a set from scratch

I have decided to build a 1957 Topps set from scratch, and wanted to invite Net54 members along to watch the progress and support me when it gets tough. I wanted to do this set because it's my favorite vintage set. It was the first one I ever saw completed in a notebook, and I love the fact there's so many HOFers and key RCs.

I didn't have a single card from the set, and I picked up the first 3 on Dec. 27, 2019. The Spahn and Hyde came from a trade with a coaching friend. I traded him some of my extra 1962 Topps that he needed for that set for the Spahn and Hyde. I made another trade at the LCS for the Clete Boyer RC. So those 3 are what got me started on this quest.

I want to chronicle exactly how much it costs as I go to show people whether or not it's cost effective to put a set together or just buy a set (I know what the answer will be, but I want to keep track anyway). I'm hoping to finish this during the 2020 calendar year, but that's just my goal. We'll see what happens. Anyway, lets get rolling.

Through Jan. 11, 2020
Total money spent: $35;
Cards picked up: 50/407 (12.29% complete)
Possible Upgrades: 5 (due to centering)

First pickups to kick off building the set:

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.

Last edited by wdwfan; 01-11-2020 at 05:57 PM.