Thread: Vintage Tickets
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Default Vintage Tickets

Posted By: David McDonald

Max,
There's at least one more of us who has heard of Percy Williams. Thought you might appreciate this Vancouver Sun headline glass. Full headline reads: "Local Boy Wins Sprint Crown." I used to live in Vancouver back in the pre-City of Glass days. You could rent a house in Kitsilano for $200 a month, "two-and-a-juice" at the Cecil would set you back 65 cents, and the Canucks played out Hastings at the PNE. Couldn't hack the rain. Left for Hawaii in '81.
Fairly good article about "Peerless Percy" at this site. Was sad to learn that he ended up a suicide.

http://66.218.71.225/search/cache?p=%22Percy+Williams%22&sm=Yahoo%21+Search&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8&u=www.cbc.ca/sports/olympians/williams.shtml&w=%22percy+williams%22&d=420FE2A777&icp=1&.intl=us

I remember that great statue of Bannister and Landy at Empire Stadium. (I heard they tore the stadium down. If so, is that statue still there?) Also, I recall the statue of sprinter of Harry Jerome in Stanley Park. Makes you wonder why there isn't a statue or some kind of monument to PW.

Leon: How 'bout them 1912 Red Sox!! (<<-- Pathetic attempt to bring this entry on-topic). Yea, I know, I know . . . majorly OT. If you would be so kind, please leave up long enough for Max to read, then Take it Away, Leon, Take it Away.