View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 10:01 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Hi Gang:

As Jim said above you can read a lot about the 62 Salada coins in the link he posted to an earlier conversation here on Net 54..I am advanced Salada collector going all the way back to 1962 when I was 12 and buying Salada tea and Junket custard to get the coins. All my extended family also saved the coins for me.

To start off I'll try to answer the OP Richard about the numbers. I say I'll TRY because it gets very complicated and will depend on what each collector will want to chase.

Richard asked what the 21 coins were that were dropped. they are #'s 2, 4, 6, 11, 18, 26, 30, 60, 66, 70, 73, 79, 84, 89, 104, 116, 121, 148, 162, 171 and 179. These are the 21 Short Prints.

I have copies of company records where for example one internal "memo" dated January 18, 1962 notes " I am enclosing four more photos of baseball players for substitution in the second run, namely

Howie Bedell 217 OF Mil. Braves Replacing Gino CimoliBob Will 218 OF Chicago Cubs Replacing Richie Ashburn Dallas Green 219 P Phila. Phillies Replacing John BuzhardtCarroll Hardy 220 OF Boston Red Sox Replacing Jackie Jensen

On the top of the memo is handwritten Change#9 Second Run

A good checklist is in the SCD Standard Catalog. If you read the description it says there are 221 different players but when you include variations there are 265 coins. These variations are the red and white buttons on Angels and others, Team changes after trades like Minoso with the Cardinals and White Sox, players changing teams due to expansion Hodges with the Dodgers and Mets etc. However if you count those listed in the catalog and my count is correct you will see 268! I believe this is because of three "new" variations I found in the early 2000's after 40 some years from when the coins were issued and reported them to Bob Lemke who was doing the update of the catalog in SCD. When they printed the later editions of the Standard Catalog they used the old wording but added the three coins to the checklist without changing the 265 number.

The three new variations were 9 Lemon, "Jim" at center of ear, 46 Duren red buttons name far from ear, and 113 Bailey "C" level with ear.

To further complicate the matter if you continue to read the description in the SCD Catalog you will read the following:

" Many of the players in the 180 series can be found with variations in the placement of the front typography relative to the colored portrait. Though these variations seem to affect a tiny percentage of some players' 180 coins, they are in most cases too difficult to distinguish except by direct comparison between specimens and are of interest only to the most dedicated Salada collectors".

What is unsaid, is that the noted three "rarest" coins, 48 Williams name on right 53 Brandt Orioles. and 113 Bailey "C" level with ear are ALL part of this early printing group as are the Lemon and Duren noted above. And there are MORE! So even that 268 number is incorrect.

As noted in the SCD description above some of the early prints also include different placement on the front typography. For instance, the 53 Brandt Orioles beside having the "s" in Orioles his name and position is also moved farther from his face than on the common coin.

Two of the early print coins that are much easier to see than just moving the name and position is the Cunningham with the Cardinals with his name above his ear or even with his ear. And Killebrew with his name and position on a different angle. I have only seen two of these in all my years

Over the years after looking at tens of thousands of these coins I have been able to identify some 30 other early prints not checklisted.

Should I continue??? There are also a VERY SMALL number of coins issued with what are called Clip On Backs where the plastic shell has a clip back. Mostly Red Sox are seen with this clip back but a few Phillies and Tigers have been seen as well. Seems all are dark blue shells, but one lt blue shell has been seen.

Then there are "variations like the Geiger "O" on cap and Heist with a "necklace"!!

Below you will see some examples of those and others I have noted above. I hope this helps, but I assume I have only confused you more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duren salada.jpg (192.0 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg Brandt rare.jpg (13.6 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg Variations.jpg (61.4 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg clipback.jpg (41.5 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg 62 Salada Geiger O on cap_2021.jpg (72.1 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg Heist with necklace.jpg (153.2 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg Cunningham2.jpg (137.2 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg Killer.jpg (148.6 KB, 323 views)