View Single Post
Old 05-30-2016, 05:11 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghumbs View Post
The seller had a lot of interesting items, most of which were not sports related, but he appeared to be reputable.

He said he purchased this ball around 25 years ago from an antique shop in Illinois.
Unrelated, this reminds me of all the calls I've gotten over the years, at least a couple dozen, describing to me this huge collection of Ring Magazines they've had passed down to them, covering anywhere from the 1970's to the 1990's.

Just by coincidence they just so happen to have the very first issue of Ring Magazine published in 1922. Not the 2nd issue, or 3rd issue or any other issues from the 1920's.......but the 1st.....and it's in Mint condition.

I have to explain to them there's a 99.999% chance it's a reprint that Ring Magazine put out in 1991 to celebrate their upcoming 70th Anniversary. It's supposedly made from the original printing plates. Almost an exact replica in every way except it's smaller format, and on obviously newer paper.

I had one guy explain to me, his Grandfather would never have a reprint in his collection, and that he's had this for at least 25 years. I had to calmly explain to him that 1991 was 25 years ago.

I'm pretty sure the guy swore at me, and then hung up the phone.

On a related note, from all the old boxing gloves I've handled over the years, any leather product anywhere near the age of that ball is supposed to be, would have extensive crackling to it, even if it was used very little.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 05-30-2016 at 05:13 PM.