View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 04:42 PM
Phil Garry

Default Advice on Modern Rookie Cards 2000-2019

Prior to getting into pre-war card collecting during the early 2000's, I was a long time baseball rookie card collector from 1981-2000. Even to this day, I can flip through just about every card set from that time period and identify every significant rookie card, likely not missing more than a single card per set. Since 2000 though, I completely lost touch with who the rookies were each season and today I decided to make a trip to my local card shop in Orlando and see if I could begin slowly trying to fill in the rookie card gaps over the past 20 years. This change of focus was prompted primarily by my recent "retirement" due to health issues and very little money coming in so it's pretty much impossible for me to continue the pre-war baseball collecting.

As I was at the shop today going through modern boxes of loose cards, I had the latest Beckett in hand and was just overwhelmed at how many different sets/subsets that each card manufacturer is putting out each year these days. I was totally confused trying to look up the cards that I had in my hands to see exactly what sets they came from, eventually just getting frustrated and giving up.

After giving the situation some more thought, I decided that the best way for me to tackle this task would be to pick one major brand/set that was around for pretty much the entire past 20 years and just collect the rookie cards that I am interested in from that brand only. So my question for board members here who have kept up with the modern rookie card craze is "what set would you recommend that I can focus on for the past 20 years and go back and acquire most of the big name rookies. To keep it simple, I really don't want to switch brands/sets each year but would rather stick with one choice for the entire 20 year period.

Any input would be most appreciated and I will wait for any replies to discuss further.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 09-05-2019 at 04:43 PM.