View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 11:39 AM

Austin Mike---The only good thing going for that Journal-American is the more than decent photo of Mickey. It is unique, as I cannot recall seeing it on another issue.
Really, in the SGC holder, the card presents very well. Nice going. You know, Mike, grading truly helps with the Journal-Americans because they're such flimsy cards. Being encapsulated gives the card excellent heft, and a much better all-around appearance. Obviously, a beautiful specimen.

Back in the 1963, I peeled off those inserts and placed them on my bicycle. The rain didn't do much to them, but the sunlight killed them. Of course, they were already "dead" after I took the backing flaps off! I have this vague memory I did not stick Mickey to my bike; rather, I chose my bedroom wall.

In the late 80s or early 90s, I bought another nice, fresh '63 Mantle peel-off sticker. As I reflect on it, I spent more replacing that sucker than I spent buying gum cards during all or most of my childhood! Then again, I remember a '61 Topps Mantle I saw that some kid shot with a bb gun. The hole was right above Mick's head. Worse, I bought a near set of the Yankees' 1967 Coca-Cola Premiums. This was around '93; the price was good--under a hundred bucks. It was plain to see what happened with them, or should I clarify, what was done to the Mickey Mantle. The group of nearly 12 had been placed together on a dealer's table at a show. They were bundled together with a large paper clip.

Guess who had been on top?

Right.

So, now the Mickey Mantle has a rather deep paper clip indentation on Mickey's cap. To top it all off, when the doofus removed the paper clip, that clip had a semi-sharp burr on it, as those clips often do. As the idiot removed the clip it tore a tiny bit of Mick's cap off!

Two blatant, permanent eye sores, not to mention killing the card's technical grade. As Moe once said to Curly, if you were over here I'd give ya this---SLAP!!!! (Moe smacks Larry, and the cute little toddler laughed. This was from their 1938 classic, MUTTS TO YOU.)

At least my other favorite card in the Yankee set, Mel Stottlemyre, came out beautifully. SGC graded it EX-MT, due to a tiny bit of corner wear. I used this card, and the Ernie Banks I had graded at the same time, to illustrate chapter 7 in my book. Those cards look magnificent in graded holders!

Nice going Mike on your pick-ups, you're going great, bro. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-11-2017 at 11:49 AM.